CASA-NYC is a volunteer-based not-for-profit organization providing advocacy for children and youth in New York City foster care. We are seeking a full-time Advocate Supervisor, who will be responsible for supervising a team of volunteer Advocates and providing direct advocacy/case work as needed.
CASA-NYC seeks a seasoned professional (LMSW/LCSW/JD) with a minimum of two years of relevant post-graduate professional experience and a demonstrated interest in child welfare to fulfill the following responsibilities:
- Supervise a team of highly trained CASA volunteer Advocates. Providesupportive and constructive guidance and oversight to volunteers in developing case assessments, case plans and advocacy strategies to ensure that children have their needs met while in foster care move out of foster care as quickly as possible.
- Provide direct case management and advocacy when volunteers are not available, or on cases requiring higher-level support.
- Advocate or guide volunteers in advocating for children and youth in court proceedings and field meetings related to child’s developmental, educational, health and mental health needs, family supports, and other needs.
- Work with or guide volunteers in work with parents of children in foster care to establish safe and stable homes required for their children’s return; and with youth aging out of foster care to assist them in preparing to live independently.
- Meet with each volunteer Advocate a minimum of once monthly for in-person supervision, and maintain regular contact with volunteers by phone and email.
- Write concise, effective, fact-based court reports that include holistic descriptions of the needs and life circumstances of each CASA child or youth, or provide guidance to volunteers in writing such court reports.
- Participate in court proceedings and case related conferences and meetings.
- Orient new volunteers to CASA-NYC policies and the court process. Select appropriate cases for volunteers and conduct case assignments.
- Work closely with the Volunteer Coordinator to ensure volunteer receive appropriate training and oversight.
- Assist in volunteer training including facilitation of selected training sessions.
- Guide clients through various systems, such as NYCHA, Medicaid, TANF, and special education.
- Participate in court-based committees and workgroups in order to ensure effective coordination of services with partner organizations
- Assist at CASA-NYC events and fundraisers as needed.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
- LMSW, LSCW, or JD required.
- Two to five years of relevant post-graduate professional experience required.
- Bi-lingual (Spanish/English or other) strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of child welfare.
- Supervision experience preferred.
- For social workers, SIFI preferred, or ability to obtain SIFI certification in first year of employment.
- Excellent written and oral advocacy skills.
- Professional maturity and ability to foster positive relationships with a diverse array of individuals and professionals.
- Ability to work both independently, with strong initiative, as well as collaboratively with a small team.
CASA-NYC is a partner project of the Fund for the City of New York. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage people of color, immigrants, LGBTQ-identified and differently-abled candidates to apply.
Salary is commensurate with experience. A competitive benefits package includes a 401(k) retirement plan with match, health, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, pre-tax transit costs and generous vacation.
To apply please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Only applicants considered for the position will be contacted by CASA.